Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Apples - beware of what do you want...

When Patrik was diagnosed with allergy on cows' milk (at his age of 1,5 months), we got very stricted diet - at first for me and then when he started to eat solid food, for him. He was allowed to eat only few types of food... 

Later when we decided to give him solid food we continued with this diet. I hated it. One of the forbidden type of food was also fresh food. When I think of Loris and how she started with solid food... well the difference is huge. She ate (and still eats) a lot of fresh fruit, different types; apples, oranges, watermelon, grapes, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, any type of berries, cherries... you name it, she will eat it.
But, it was not like this with Patrik. And I'm angry with myself to listen to the doctors and dietetitians. When we decided to listen to our common sense - what do the fresh fruit and vegetables have to do with allergy on cows' milk' - and tried to give him fresh fruits, it was just too late. He didn't wanted to try.

His first fruit - at least fresh one - was at his age of 2,5 years he tried in Tunisia watermelon. Every meal we had at the end he wanted watermelon. I confess... I ate it too. They were so different from what we get here. Juicy, sweet... mnjami... :o)
Then we thought: "OK this is it. He started to eat fruit." How wrong we were. When we came home... again the same. He didn't want to eat it. We didn't know what to do. 
I remember myself - some months later - saying to Janez: "If only he would eat apples. If this happens, I will not ask him to eat any other type of fruit." As his constipation was so severe, that nothing helped, my saying was what I really meant.

Well, I don't know when, but it happened. He started to eat - apples. I thought we were in heaven.

How it is today? You see that bowel of apples above? This will be gone day after tommorow if not tommorow. OK I will take some of them with me  to my work, two or three will eat Loris - the rest of them? Patrik.
On Saturday morning we bought 2 kilos of apples (we run out of them) and they were gone till Sunday - watch this - Loris was not home. I ate maybe two. Janez none. I think there were 9 apples in those two kilos, so 7 of 9 (hmmm... anybody watched Star trek Voyager?) he ate. On Sunday we got another bag from my parents - like every Sunday and we already run out of them. Don't misunderstand me - I'm not jealous nor angry...
I just realised that "beware of what do you want" is so much true...

1 comment:

  1. Let me just tell you.... Nick only eats apples as well, however, he eats two, maybe three a day! :)

    ReplyDelete