Thursday, December 29, 2011

My first loaf of bread




Yes, this is it. In my very, very late twenties... :o) At age 3... and something... Well, in TOP thirties... Ahmmm... 

:o)

What the heck... I'm 37 and I backed my first loaf of bread. Not any kind. It's gluten free loaf of bread. For Patrik. 

He was - he still is - crazy about the bread. When we first learned about his condition - even before the formal diagnosis - we were stunned about his love for bread. Even then he didn't eat everything. 

Well, that his food was so 'poor' I blame us to trust the doctors who had given us such a strict diet at his age of month and a half when we learned that he is allergic to cows' milk. But when he started to eat solid food, he was almost never enough of bread. Any kind of bread. When he didn't want to eat, we had given him a bread. Crazy... I know that now. He actually acted as adictive to bread.

So, waiting for the formal diagnosis and as he was already on strict diet from casein, we decided to try gluten-free food too. 

Wow. It took him 6 months even to try gluten-free bread. We had 6 months of struggle. He accepted pasta and spagetti made from rice and all the other gluten-free stuf, but not bread. At first he smelled the slices, then he just picked them up to feel them... at the end he knew that the bread is not THE BREAD only by looking at the slices...

But we decided to be strong. It was hard. There were days when he ate very little. We almost broke, but luckly we were two. When one was weak the other took the burden on his/her shoulders...

After 6 maybe 7 months, Patrik ate his first free from gluten slice of bread and that was it. We were on our way. 

When I think about that, I'm wondering if putting him on this diet, caused the constipation. Cronical constipation for almost three years. Every end of October till end of April. For three years. No one gave us a magical cure for this. We had to take Patrik almost every week to the hospital for enema. I can not even tell you how hard was that for Patrik. I don't count. Although my 'pain' was enormous, I can not even imagine his. At the end there was 5 of us. Three nurses helped me hold him down, one nurse to do the enema. I just want to forget this. Only last December - yes, it is one year from that - we were told about some laxative (no other before - natural and medical - hadn't helped) that was helping the children with cerebral palsy. Of course this laxative we couldn't buy here in Slovenia. We got it from Austria. And it helped. What a relief... 

But... All thise years I was still wondering why his belly still looked most of the time like a belly from the starving child. As he had his checking appointments with the gastroenterologist, at first he suggested that he might had a celiac disease. When we told him that we put him on the diet almost a year before the appointment, he had no other explanation, except that it might pass.

We hoped.

When the last medical reports from abroad were almost even worse than the first ones, we decided to soften our food. We were not so strick with the food. We didn't check every food he got somewhere else if the gluten is present. If we run out of his bread - we spotted that usually in the morning - we gave him a slice of ours. In the morning, when he finishs his slice of bread he stands in kitchen for so long that he gets a slice of ours... And sometimes it's not enough just one...

For the last few months I'm watching him more closely again. No, he had no regresion in his behaviour. He is not agresive or self-agresive. He is still learning new things. But there is something - I can not tell you what... I just have to figure it out for myself. Actually... I'm afraid that his 'adiction' to gluten is comming back...

So, as the food free from gluten is expensive almost as saffron and as we are home this week, I decided to bake a bread. Today after lunch I started. We had flour free from gluten at home for some time so I took the receipt from there. I was not sure how it will look. At the end look doesn't matter, right?

As Patrik knows when something wrong with the food - especially with the bread - I was waiting for his reaction. When the bread was cold enough for eating, I gave him a slice. He took it in his hands... looked at it... smelled it...

and took his bite. Ufff... that was a relief... At the end one slice was not enough and even Loris wanted to eat it. 

Half of it already gone... :o) - That's the way to go, Mum...   

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that great that Patrik wanted to eat the gluten free bread again! You are very good.... I have never tried the diet with Nick, I thought about it, however, he doesn't have any gut issues and he is healthy and strong. One less thing for me to worry about! :)
    Happy New Year Petra, have a good one!

    ReplyDelete